Is Red Bull Energy Drink bad for you?
Have you ever had a Red Bull Energy Drink? Is it good for you? Is it bad for you?
We are on Earth for a short time, and often what we put in our body has a lot to do with the length of time spent here.
As you may know, Red Bull is the most popular energy drink in the world. However, just because something is popular, does not mean it is good for you. That's why it is important to get the facts before, you indulge in something, that may hurt you later.
Red Bull Energy Drink Ingredients
OK, let's look at some of Red Bull's ingredients. Then you can decide whether you should consume it.
1. Glucose - commonly called sugar. One can contains 27 grams of sugar. That's about 6 teaspoons of sugar.
Red Bull, is also available sugar free. It is sweeten with an artificial sweetener called aspartame.
2. Glucuronolactone is a substance produced by metabolism found in the body. Red Bull and other energy drinks contain Glucuronolactone because it is said to increase feelings of well-being and supply energy to the body.
3. Caffeine is a bitter, substance that is a psychoactive stimulant drug.
Although, we normally associate caffeine with coffee, it is also in some sodas and tea.
One can of red bull contains 80 mg of caffeine. That's about the same amount found in a normal cup of coffee.
4. Taurine is an amino acid that is believed to improve athletic performance.
5. Niacin is another name for vitamin B3.
The human body needs a continuous supply of niacin. However, consuming excessive amounts can cause serious health problems.
6. Sodium citrate is said to produce a measurable effect on athletic performance.
A test was done which resulted in this conclusion:
The ingestion of 0.5 g of sodium citrate/kg body mass shortly before a 5 km running time trial improves performance in well- trained college runners.
7. B vitamins is said to increase the rate of metabolism and maintain healthy skin and muscle tone.
8. Inositol is a nutrient that helps properly nourish the brain.
I believe the principal reason Inositol is used in Red Bull is because it helps the body maintain a healthy metabolism.
I am not an advocate for caffeine, a main ingredient in Red Bull. Caffeine can be dangerous for people with high blood pressure.
Another concern I have about Red Bull is that it is actually banned in some countries because of health risks. Health risks include heart attack or stroke according to Australian medical researchers.
So is Red Bull energy drink bad for you?
Inconclusive, but based on the information given we do not recommend it.
Return from Is Red Bull Energy Drink bad for you? Back yo Home Page