The Benefits of a Good Exercise Program
Jogging on a beautiful autumn day
A good exercise program and a healthy diet are like a hand in a glove...the two go well together.
Now let me be clear, if I had to choose between physical health and nutritional health, I would choose nutritional health every time.
There have been world-class athletes that have drop dead because of diet related diseases, so to me nutritional health far exceeds physical health. Nevertheless as I stated before, the two go well together.
Exercise and a Clearer Complexion
During my early teen years I began having problems with acne on my face. I hated it.
When I turned 16 I joined the track team in high school and started running several days a week. To my surprise the acne on my face began clearing up. I later learned that exercising at an appropriate intensity causes the pores on your skin to open and release sweat, which contains impurities, resulting in clearer complexion.
Exercise and Weight Loss
The concept of losing weight is simple…burn more calories than you take in.
The human body is like a motor vehicle. The faster or longer a car goes the more fuel it burns. The faster or longer our bodies move during exercise, the more calories that otherwise would be stored as fat is burnt. That is why exercise is such a great idea for someone wanting to lose weight.
Exercise and Mental Health
According to the 1996 U.S. Surgeon General's Report on Physical Activity and Public Health,
physically active people tend to have better mental health.
To me this report helps confirm a research done at a major university on people who suffered from depression. 60% of those who took part in the research that exercised for 30 minutes three times a week overcame their depression without taking any antidepressant medication.
I was at a park sometime ago and met a gentleman who told me that he loved coming to the park to walk because he found that it was a great way to relieve stress.
I can tell you from my own personal experience that when you are in good shape physically you feel a lot better mentally.
Other Benefits of Exercise
Here are some other health benefits of exercise:
1. Helps in the reducing of High blood pressure.
2. Helps prevent and control type 2 diabetes.
3. Helps prevent Osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is the thinning of bone tissue and loss of bone density over time.
4. Helps prevent heart disease and stroke.
5. Helps improve mood.
6. Helps keep muscles strong.
7. Helps reduce risk of colon, prostate and breast cancer.
Tips on Beginning an Exercise Program
1.Before beginning any physical workout program, be sure to talk with your doctor.
2. Make a commitment to yourself that you are going to make exercise part of your lifestyle.
3. It's important to start an exercise program slowly if you have not exercised for a long period of time.
4. Choose an exercise program that you enjoy doing. (I like running). You may like walking, swimming, gardening, skiing, or mountain biking. Remember it is up to you.
5. If you find yourself getting bored of one exercise simply change it. For example you may want to walk for six months and then for the other half of the year jog.
6. Find a routine that works for you. I run 18 miles per week. I do nine miles on Wednesdays and nine miles on Friday or Saturday. That is what works for me. However there are people who run three miles per day six days a week. That is what works for them. Get the picture?
7. Have Fun! If you do you will stick to your exercise program.
Return from The Benefits of a Good Exercise Program back to Home Page